The lira surged back nicely yesterday after the central bank hiked rates sharply (by 625bps to 24%). The central bank strongly asserted its independence despite President Recep Tayyip Erdogan criticising the bank again and demanding lower interest rates – this was a positive signal from the central bank.
What is unclear, however, is whether there will be a political fallout from this assertion of independence or whether CBT has received 'limited approval' from political leaders.
In any case, we forecast inflation to soon outstrip even the 24% interest rate – hence, it all depends on whether CBT will change its style to more pro-active in future and keep the real interest rate positive. We are cautiously optimistic, but we still do not forecast a trend appreciation of the lira.
Stay underweight in TRY despite technical measures to support the currency: We reckon that a major source of concern is now the debt burden of the economy and the rising external rollover needs over September and October. A credible package is required to secure external funding needs, which would involve central bank hikes, government support for banks and resolution for NPLs in the corporate sector, as well as a recognition that the economy needs to go through a period of managed deleveraging.
On all of these fronts, there has been only modest progress so far. The central bank signalled its intention to tighten policy at its upcoming meeting, and our economist now forecasts a 250bps hike both in September and October.
However, only 250bps tightening at the next meeting would lead to a disappointment, in our view. The medium-term fiscal plan is likely towards end of September; however, with TRY10bn loan support announced to SMEs recently, it is unclear if it will go far enough in facilitating ordinary deleveraging. Taking into account poor policy track record, we recommend staying UW but some hedging strategy is also advocated.
As long as these external financing needs exist and the central bank does not offer attractive real interest rates the TRY crisis will not have been overcome on a sustainable basis so that the depreciation pressure on TRY will continue. Courtesy: JPM
At spot reference: 6.1296 levels, contemplating above driving factors, on hedging grounds we advocate buying 3m (1%) ITM USDTRY call option, deep in the money call with a very strong delta will move in tandem with the underlying spot FX.
Currency Strength Index: FxWirePro's hourly USD spot index has shown -32 (which is bearish), while articulating at 13:41 GMT.
For more details on the index, please refer below weblink:


Gold Prices Fall Amid Rate Jitters; Copper Steady as China Stimulus Eyed
EUR/USD Rebounds Above 1.1250 Ahead of Fed Minutes: Technicals Eye Buy-on-Dips Target at 1.1365
Strategy’s STRC Nears $100, Raising Prospects for Major Bitcoin Buys
U.S. Treasury Yields Expected to Decline Amid Cooling Economic Pressures
BTC and ETH Derivatives Report: Long Flush Normalizes Futures, Options Show Range Consolidation
Weekly Crypto Pulse: $528M ETF Inflows Meet a Cooling US Economy
FxWirePro: NZD/USD heads deeper into bear territory, 23.6%fib eyed
Geopolitical Shocks That Could Reshape Financial Markets in 2025
AUD/JPY Holds Above 110.00: Buying the Dip for a Potential Rally Toward 112.00
FxWirePro: GBP/NZD bulls loosen their grip a bit, dips to be bought
Bitcoin Bull Cycle Still Early as XRP, NEAR Consolidate
Fed Unveils Stablecoin Rules Under GENIUS Act
Fed’s Williams Signals One More Rate Hike Before Year-End
S&P 500 Relies on Tech for Growth in Q4 2024, Says Barclays
NZD/JPY Facing EMA Resistance Below 90: Is a Bearish Continuation Underway? 



