Boxing fans who were excited to see Manny Pacquiao fight in another welterweight world title in July are bound to get a piece of disappointing news. Despite earlier reports, a source close to the athlete-politician has just explained why the rumored Keith Thurman match in July is unlikely happening.
Sean Gibbons, boxing analyst, and known Pacquiao adviser told ESPN that the boxing champ is currently preoccupied in campaigning for affiliate political candidates in the Philippine mid-term national elections on Monday, May 13.
Pacquiao, who was elected to the Philippine Senate in 2016, is an incumbent official whose first term will end in 2022. However, he is also a Filipino icon and having him at campaign rallies is considered a significant advantage for any politician. Gibbons reportedly said that the political activities have kept the former eight-division champion making it impossible for any serious talks regarding a Thurman fight in July to take place.
“July 13 or July 20 is possible. The Senator is still working out his political duties here before making a final decision but is looking to returning to the ring in July,” Gibbons said about Pacquiao’s next fight. “After the May 13 elections, the Senator will get in serious conversations to move to close a fight. Until he gets done with elections he is not committed to anything.”
Pacquiao’s match with Adrien Broner earlier this year was a great 2019 opening for the sports. The 40-year-old Filipino boxer dominated the fight via unanimous decision, thus, retaining his WBA welterweight title. It also showed critics that, despite his age and many other responsibilities, Pacquiao can still deliver a good fight.
Since then boxing fans have been waiting for any news on his next fight as Pacquiao also said he is looking forward to having more matches in 2019. Thurman has since become a fan-favorite among all possible athletes that Pacquiao would face. But fans also made it clear in February that most of them are still hoping to see a Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. rematch in the future.


FAA to Pause Reagan National Airport Flights for Freedom 250 IndyCar Race
DOJ Launches Antitrust Investigation Into the NFL Over Broadcast Restrictions
Los Angeles World Cup Security Plans: No ICE Immigration Enforcement at FIFA 2026 Matches, Officials Say
FIFA Defends Balogun Ban Suspension After Trump Praise Sparks World Cup Controversy
Republican Lawmakers Urge National Guard Role for World Cup Drone Security
Trump Urges Hall of Fame Induction for Roger Clemens Amid Renewed Debate
Spying, Southampton and economic pressure cooker of the ‘richest match in football’
Native American Groups Slam Trump’s Call to Restore Redskins Name
JD Vance to Lead U.S. Presidential Delegation at Milano Cortina Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony
Trump Threatens Stadium Deal Over Washington Commanders Name
Trump Plans New Executive Order to Address Rising NIL Costs in College Sports
U.S. Plans $115 Million Counter-Drone Investment to Secure FIFA World Cup and Major National Events
FBI Faces Historic Security Challenge Ahead of 2026 FIFA World Cup
US Seizes Nearly 400 Illegal World Cup Streaming Domains in Global Anti-Piracy Crackdown
U.S. Eases Iran Team Travel Restrictions Ahead of Seattle World Cup Match
World game at war: why some European nations have threatened a World Cup boycott
White House Defends Trump’s FIFA Peace Prize Amid Global Criticism 



