The Philippines’ defense chief criticized the alleged “swarming” of Chinese boats in the highly contested waters of the South China Sea. The alleged presence of multiple Chinese boats in the contested waters is another sign of maritime tensions in the long-running dispute over the body of water.
The Philippine Department of National Defense chief Jose Faustino issued a statement Wednesday criticizing the presence of Chinese vessels in the contested waters. Faustino also stressed that the Philippines would not cede any inch of its territory.
“The President’s directive to the Department is clear – we will not give up a single inch of Philippine territory. We continue to conduct routine maritime and aerial patrols in the WPS. Information gathered in these patrols are submitted to relevant authorities for appropriate action,” said the statement, referring to the part of the South China Sea that it claims control over as the West Philippine Sea.
“Our lines remain open to dialogue. However, we maintain that activities which violate our sovereignty, sovereign rights, and jurisdiction, and undermine the peace and stability of the region are unacceptable,” said the statement.
China claims the majority of the South China Sea and has sought to further assert its claims over the body of water by building artificial islands that serve as its military outposts. China’s claims have angered the surrounding countries, including Taiwan, who also have respective claims to parts of the waters.
An international tribunal in 2016 ruled in favor of the Philippines, saying that China’s so-called historical claims have no basis in international law. Beijing has rejected the ruling and pushed forward with its sovereignty claims.
Faustino said the was “great concern” over reports of multiple Chinese boats in the Iroquis Reef and the Sabina Shoal that fall under Philippine territory. This follows last week’s report by the Philippine Daily Inquirer in which a Philippine military commander confirmed the presence of Chinese vessels that are said to have militias on board in the reef and the shoal early this year.
Early this month, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said the country needs to find a way to exploit the South China Sea’s resources without the need to strike a deal with China. Marcos Jr. stressed that the Philippines has a right to exploit energy reserves with a part of the body of water under its control.


Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
Iran Pushes Nationalist Propaganda as Economic Crisis and War Deepen
Pentagon Expands AI Model Testing as It Seeks Alternatives to Anthropic’s Claude
Xi Jinping Orders Full Rescue After Shanxi Coal Mine Gas Explosion Kills Eight
Trump to Swear In Kevin Warsh as New Federal Reserve Chair Amid Inflation Concerns
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
Rubio Pressures NATO Allies as Trump Questions Alliance Commitment
Trump Signals Tough Stance on Iran Uranium Stockpile as Nuclear Talks Show Limited Progress
Mexico-EU Free Trade Deal Signals Strategic Shift Away From U.S. Dependence
House Republicans Delay Vote on Iran War Powers Resolution Amid Growing Congressional Debate
Marco Rubio Visits India to Rebuild U.S.-India Ties Amid Trade and Geopolitical Tensions
Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure
Rubio Says NATO Must Benefit All Members Ahead of Sweden Meeting
Trump Sends 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Ahead of NATO Talks on Iran War
DHS Threatens to Halt International Airport Processing in Sanctuary Cities
Trump-China Summit Yields Limited Progress on Trade and Tech Cooperation
Trump Warns Iran of Renewed Action as Nuclear Deal Talks Stall 



