A group of small business owners in South Korea recently filed a case against the government for their financial losses. They have become more determined to sue as the social distancing measures in the country were extended starting Jan. 4.
Reason for the legal action of the business owners
As per the Korea Joongang Daily, some lawyers said that over 500 individuals have banded together and filed lawsuits to seek compensation as their businesses are not able to continue or earn enough because of the implemented stricter rules on COVID-19.
As social distancing and other protocols are implemented, few people are going out to buy or visit stores. While this is for everyone’s wellness, small businesses are suffering since they are not earning anything for the lack of customers.
It was said that hundreds more have expressed their interest in joining the lawsuit. Some of the businesses that are suing the government include indoor gyms, private cram schools, fitness centers, taekwondo schools, and more. These were badly affected due to business restrictions that were put into effect in the past weeks as the cases of COVID-19 surge again in South Korea.
In any case, the government announced the past weekend that three main cities, including Incheon, Seoul, and Gyeonggi, will maintain the social distancing scheme and were given the highest level of restriction. This stricter protocol will be in effect until Jan. 17, and small businesses fear they will not have anything left once the scheme is lifted.
Currently, fitness centers were forced to close, and training halls can only open with a very limited number of students, with nine as the maximum count. Review schools or Hagwon should also maintain the nine-person limit. Eating in internet cafes is also banned, and they are only allowed to open at certain times.
The legal action taken
Now, as reported by Korea Joongang Daily, at least 187 hagwon owners filed a lawsuit against the government in December, and last week, 163 more have joined. Each of them is asking for KRW5 million or $4,600 in compensation for their losses.
On Jan. 6, 153 indoor gym owners and fitness centers have also come forward and sued the government and demanding the same amount as the hagwon owners. Internet cafe and indoor golf range owners are said to be preparing to file a case as well.
“For small business owners like us, it’s a matter of life or death,” Nam II, head of a kickboxing center, said. “Government officials are just going around slapping us with business shutdown orders without considering the reality.”
Meanwhile, similar cases were also filed in the U.S. already. A lawyer sued New York on behalf of small businesses in the city. The New Yorker reported that Atty. James Mermigis already filed over half-dozen lawsuits against NY, NY city mayor, and the governor. He sued them as businesses were forced to close during the pandemic.


Samsung Union Confirms 18-Day Strike After Failed Wage Talks
GameStop Raises eBay Stake to 6.6% as Ryan Cohen Pushes $56 Billion Takeover Bid
JPMorgan Sees Large-Cap Biotech Stocks Entering New Growth Phase in 2026
Texas Sues Meta Over WhatsApp Encryption Claims
Tencent Shares Jump 4% as AI Models Move Toward Paid Commercial Services
Boeing Wins Fraud Lawsuit Over 737 MAX Filed by LOT Polish Airlines
SpaceX Delays Starship V3 Launch Ahead of Potential Record IPO
SpaceX Eyes AI Computing Expansion Ahead of Historic IPO
Mistral AI Acquires Emmi AI to Expand Industrial AI Solutions in Europe
OpenAI Eyes IPO Filing as Early as This Week Amid Rising AI Competition
Japan Airlines Signs 10-Year Boeing 787 Maintenance Deal With GE Aerospace
Stellantis CEO Antonio Filosa to Reveal Turnaround Strategy Focused on U.S. Sales and China Partnerships
Nvidia Beats Earnings Expectations as AI Demand Drives Record Growth
Walmart Stock Falls Despite Strong Q1 Revenue Beat and E-Commerce Growth
Goldman Sachs to Pay $500M in 1MDB Shareholder Fraud Settlement 



