Prince Harry could soon learn how many millions of pounds he and other claimants must pay toward the legal costs of the publisher of the Daily Mail after losing a high-profile privacy lawsuit.
On Friday, London High Court judge Matthew Nicklin is expected to issue a written ruling on the costs dispute following last month’s dismissal of claims brought by King Charles’ younger son, singer Elton John and five other public figures against Associated Newspapers.
The group had accused the publisher’s Mail titles of engaging in unlawful information-gathering activities, including phone hacking. However, after an 11-week trial, Nicklin rejected the allegations, ruling that the claimants had failed to prove that information published about them had been obtained illegally. The judge said suspicion alone was not sufficient evidence.
Associated Newspapers described the ruling as a major victory for its journalists and press freedom. Prince Harry, 41, strongly criticized the decision, calling it a “complete and obvious whitewash.”
The latest hearing will determine the amount the claimants must pay on an interim basis toward Associated’s legal expenses. The publisher is seeking £10 million, while Harry and the six other claimants have offered £8 million.
A more significant issue is whether the court will award costs on an indemnity basis. Such a decision could make the claimants responsible for a greater share of Associated’s legal costs, without requiring the publisher to demonstrate that all expenses were reasonable and proportionate.
The court previously heard that Associated had accumulated legal costs of approximately £34.5 million ($45.8 million), while the claimants’ insurance policy covered only £16 million.
Associated’s lawyer argued that the claimants had made serious allegations without sufficient evidence, increasing the publisher’s legal expenses. Their lawyer, Nicholas Bacon, countered that the £34.5 million bill was excessive and argued that awarding indemnity costs would be unfair.
Neither Prince Harry nor the other parties are expected to attend Friday’s ruling. No decision has yet been announced on whether the claimants will appeal the High Court judgment.


Capital One Says AML Review Led to Closure of Trump Organization Accounts
Warner Bros. Discovery Shares Rise as Newsom Pushes Settlement in $110 Billion Merger Fight
US, South Korea Cut Joint Military Drills After Trump Orders Reduced Role
Brazil Supreme Court Approves Probe Into Lula’s Son Over Health Ministry Lobbying Claims
Bashar al-Assad Sentenced to Death by Syrian Court
Lebanon Lawyers Seek Probe Into Banker Over Alleged Netanyahu Dinner in Washington
US Supreme Court Lets $655.5 Million Judgment Against Palestinian Authorities Stand During Appeal
DOJ Rescinds Anti-Weaponization Fund Ahead of Todd Blanche Senate Confirmation Vote
Trump Threatens ‘Crushing’ Iran Sanctions as Hormuz Standoff Deepens
U.S. Unseals Charges Against Five Alleged CJNG Leaders, Raises Reward for New Cartel Chief
Myanmar Military Pushes to Clear Land for Russia-Backed Dawei SEZ
US Tightens Cuba Sanctions, Targets Officials and State Entities
Trump Administration Allocates $206 Million for Gaza Peacekeeping Force
Imran Khan Returns to Prison After Islamabad Hospital Visit
Australia Summons Israeli Ambassador Over Gaza Aid Worker Death
CK Hutchison Seeks $1.5 Billion From Panama Over Canal Ports
US Plans ‘Toughest Sanctions in History’ on Iran, Bessent Says 



