The longest and bloodiest fighting since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February last year was over control of the key city of Bakhmut. As fighting continues in the area, Ukraine said it has the key supply route to Bakhmut under its control.
A spokesperson for the Ukrainian military said on Saturday that its forces have the key supply route to Bakhmut under its control. Ukraine has vowed to hold the defenses around Bakhmut, which Moscow has sought to bring under its control for 10 months already, in the hopes of making territorial gains since suffering significant losses to Ukrainian forces. Moscow also sees taking control of Bakhmut as a stepping stone to attack and capture other Ukrainian cities.
“For several weeks, the Russians have been talking about seizing ‘the road of life’ as well as about constant fire control over it,” said the spokesperson for Ukrainian forces in the east Serhiy Cherevatyi in an interview with local news outlet Dzerkalo Tyzhnia. “Yes it is really difficult there…the defense forces have not allowed the Russians to ‘cut off’ our logistics.”
The so-called “road of life” refers to the road between Bakhmut and Chasiv Yar.
In its military update on Sunday, the Ukrainian military command said that its forces were able to intercept 58 Russian attacks in the past day as part of the frontline expanding from Bakhmut through Avdiivka and to Maryinka in the Donetsk region. Chasiv Yar is likely the next city Russian forces may attempt to capture should they succeed in capturing Bakhmut, according to military analysts.
Last week, Ukraine protested to its allies in the European Union and Poland over the restrictions placed on exports of Ukrainian grain supplies before the bloc’s executive branch announced that a deal was reached in principle to resolve the issue.
The Ukrainian foreign ministry on Saturday said it sent notes to the Polish embassy and the EU representative office in Kyiv, expressing disappointment with the matter and that the restrictions introduced on its grain exports via the EU were “categorically unacceptable.”
The EU said on Friday that it came to a deal in principle to allow the transit of Ukrainian grain products to resume through the five EU countries that introduced restrictions.


Oil Tankers Exit Strait of Hormuz as Trump Signals Possible Iran Deal
Erdogan Welcomes Extended Iran Ceasefire in Call With Trump
Trump Warns of Renewed Military Action Against Iran as Peace Talks Stall
Trump Warns Iran of Renewed Action as Nuclear Deal Talks Stall
Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
House Republicans Delay Vote on Iran War Powers Resolution Amid Growing Congressional Debate
NIH Infectious Disease Leadership Shake-Up Raises Concerns Amid Ebola, Hantavirus Outbreaks
Canada Condemns Israel Over Gaza Flotilla Activists as Tensions Escalate
Trump to Swear In Kevin Warsh as New Federal Reserve Chair Amid Inflation Concerns
Greenland Protesters Rally Against Expanded U.S. Consulate Amid Trump Arctic Ambitions
Raul Castro Indicted by U.S.: Cuba’s Revolutionary Leader Faces Renewed Scrutiny in 2026
Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure
Iran Pushes Nationalist Propaganda as Economic Crisis and War Deepen
Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
China to Buy 200 Boeing Jets, Push for Extended U.S. Trade Deal
Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment 



