Menu

Search

  |   Politics

Menu

  |   Politics

Search

Google Add as a preferred source on Google

Trump Envoys Hold Gaza Peace Talks in Cairo as Israeli Strikes Continue

Trump Envoys Hold Gaza Peace Talks in Cairo as Israeli Strikes Continue. Source: AP Photo/Alex Brandon

U.S. President Donald Trump’s envoys held talks with Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo on Sunday as diplomatic efforts intensified to advance Washington’s Gaza peace plan while Israeli airstrikes continued across the enclave.

Trump’s son-in-law and envoy Jared Kushner and Board of Peace envoy Nickolay Mladenov participated in the discussions, according to a diplomatic source. Hamas representatives also attended some meetings. Kushner and Mladenov are expected to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday after he described Trump’s latest Gaza roadmap as “unacceptable” on August 9.

An Israeli official said concerns include Washington’s demand that Israel halt targeted assassinations of Hamas militants as the group rebuilds its forces. Trump’s Gaza peace proposal calls for an immediate end to military operations, Hamas’ disarmament, the withdrawal of Israeli forces and reconstruction under a new Palestinian civilian administration.

Despite the diplomatic push, Israel has resumed airstrikes after reducing attacks earlier this month. The Israeli military said it targeted Islamic Jihad and Hamas militants in Khan Younis and Nuseirat on Sunday. Palestinian medics reported several injuries, with one person later dying from wounds sustained in the Khan Younis strike. Another attack on an apartment in Nuseirat also wounded several people.

Hamas leader Khalil Al-Hayya separately met Egyptian intelligence chief Hassan Rashad in Cairo. Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem said Al-Hayya planned to brief mediators on alleged Israeli ceasefire violations.

Five Arab countries, along with Turkey, Pakistan and Indonesia, issued a joint statement condemning Israel’s rejection of the U.S. peace plan, warning that it could undermine efforts to permanently end the Gaza war.

Hamas has urged mediators and Trump’s Board of Peace to pressure Israel to fulfill the first phase of the agreement and approve a roadmap for its second phase.

A ceasefire reached in October 2025 ended major fighting but did not completely stop Israeli attacks. Since then, Israeli fire has killed more than 1,250 Palestinians in Gaza, while four Israeli soldiers have been killed by militants, according to figures cited by both sides.

  • Market Data
Close

Welcome to EconoTimes

Sign up for daily updates for the most important
stories unfolding in the global economy.