Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum has stepped back from a controversial proposal to shorten the country’s 2026 school year ahead of the FIFA World Cup, following backlash from parents and education groups. The proposal, initially announced by Education Secretary Mario Delgado, suggested ending classes on June 5 instead of the scheduled July 15 due to extreme heat conditions and the upcoming World Cup hosted in Mexico, the United States, and Canada.
Speaking during her morning press conference on Friday, Sheinbaum clarified that no final decision had been made regarding the academic calendar. She acknowledged the excitement surrounding the FIFA World Cup 2026 but emphasized that students’ education and required school days must remain a priority. According to the president, discussions are still ongoing and authorities are evaluating the impact on learning schedules.
The proposed calendar change sparked criticism across Mexico, especially from parent organizations. The National Union of Parent Associations argued that shortening the school year for a sporting event would negatively affect children’s education. The organization also noted that high temperatures are common in Mexico every year and should not be used as justification for reducing classroom time.
Mexico City, Monterrey, and Guadalajara are set to host 13 World Cup matches during June and July 2026. Officials believe reducing school activity during that period could help ease traffic congestion and accommodate the large number of international tourists expected to visit the country.
Meanwhile, Mexico continues to experience a severe heat wave, with temperatures reaching as high as 45 degrees Celsius in some regions. However, weather experts note that the rainy season typically begins in June, bringing cooler temperatures across much of the country.
The debate over Mexico’s school calendar highlights the challenge of balancing major international events, climate concerns, and educational priorities as the nation prepares for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.


Trump Says Kim Jong Un Responded to Outreach After US Scales Back South Korea Military Drills
Los Angeles World Cup Security Plans: No ICE Immigration Enforcement at FIFA 2026 Matches, Officials Say
Gaza Zoo Struggles to Save Animals Amid War
Israeli Troops Enter Qusra Homes as Settler Siege Intensifies
Pentagon Weighs Permanent U.S. Military Drawdown in Persian Gulf
Migrants in Spain’s Ceuta Protest for Asylum, Refuse Return to Morocco
Trump Pauses 50% Canada Tariffs for Three Days as U.S. Trade Deal Takes Shape
Spying, Southampton and economic pressure cooker of the ‘richest match in football’
White House Defends Trump’s FIFA Peace Prize Amid Global Criticism
Canada Faces 50% U.S. Tariffs as Trade Tensions Threaten USMCA Talks
US Weighs New Sanctions Against Brazil Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes
Trump Envoys Hold Gaza Peace Talks in Cairo as Israeli Strikes Continue
Trump Orders Reduction in U.S.-South Korea Military Drills, Citing Kim Jong Un Ties
Trump Draws Cheers at Ryder Cup as U.S. Trails Europe After Opening Day
South Korea’s Lee Calls for Stronger Defence as US Eyes Reduced Joint Drills
Los Angeles Mayor Says White House Must Reassure Fans Ahead of FIFA World Cup
U.S. Plans $115 Million Counter-Drone Investment to Secure FIFA World Cup and Major National Events 



