NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg will end his term as the head of the alliance in October. The announcement follows media reports that Stoltenberg was planning to extend his tenure as the NATO chief.
NATO spokesperson Oana Lungescu said on Saturday that Stoltenberg will not extend another term and will be ending his tenure as the NATO chief as planned in October. This follows reports by the German Welt am Sonntag that Stoltenberg’s term was going to be extended again, as the alliance is looking to maintain its stability in the midst of the ongoing war in Ukraine.
“The mandate of Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has been extended three times and he has served for a total of almost nine years,” said Lungescu. “The Secretary-General’s term comes to an end in October of this year and he has no intention to seek another extension of this mandate.”
Welt am Sonntag reported that NATO members wanted to give Stoltenberg the opportunity to chair the alliance’s 75th-anniversary summit that will be held in Washington in April 2024. Stoltenberg would also be in a position to become the head of the World Bank when David Malpass steps down, according to the outlet.
The outlet also alleged that there has yet to be a decision on who will succeed Stoltenberg. However, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez and British defense minister Ben Wallace are allegedly among the top contenders for the position.
Meanwhile, the alliance’s members are expected to raise their munition stockpiles that have already been depleted due to the war as the members look to supply Ukraine with arms and put their own militaries on stable footing. Even before Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24 last year, several NATO countries fell short of meeting the stockpiling targets as officials considered wars of attrition with large-scale artillery conflicts obsolete.
However, with the pace of arms deliveries to Ukraine, Western munitions inventories have been drained, highlighting flaws in the efficiency, speed, and manpower of supply chains. A NATO official familiar with the matter told Reuters that the alliance has just finished a survey of the remaining munitions stocks.


Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
Trump Signals Tough Stance on Iran Uranium Stockpile as Nuclear Talks Show Limited Progress
Iran-U.S. Talks Continue as Strait of Hormuz and Uranium Dispute Stall Peace Efforts
U.S. Sanctions Tanzanian Police Official Over Human Rights Violations
Trump-Taiwan Talks Could Reshape U.S.-China Relations
NIH Infectious Disease Leadership Shake-Up Raises Concerns Amid Ebola, Hantavirus Outbreaks
Trump Sends 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Ahead of NATO Talks on Iran War
Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
Trump Warns Iran of Renewed Action as Nuclear Deal Talks Stall
Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
Pentagon Expands AI Model Testing as It Seeks Alternatives to Anthropic’s Claude
Erdogan Welcomes Extended Iran Ceasefire in Call With Trump
First Trump, now Putin – all roads lead to Xi Jinping
Raul Castro Indicted by U.S.: Cuba’s Revolutionary Leader Faces Renewed Scrutiny in 2026
Greenland Protesters Rally Against Expanded U.S. Consulate Amid Trump Arctic Ambitions
Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure 



