Ukraine has appointed a new anti-corruption investigator after a process that has lasted for months. The appointment of an anti-corruption investigator comes as Kyiv looks to tackle corruption in the country in its effort to join the European Union.
On Monday, Kyiv appointed Semen Kryvonos to become the director of the National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine, one of several bodies Ukraine has established in recent years. Kryvonos was currently serving as the chief of the State Inspection of Architecture and Urban Planning. Kryvonos will serve a seven-year term as director of NABU.
Kryvonos was chosen by Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal from a pool of three finalists and has the support of the cabinet. Kryvonos will likely come under scrutiny in his new post amidst Ukraine’s public commitment to cracking down on corruption, which is endemic in the country.
“Our team is committed to the principle of zero-tolerance for corruption and supporting anti-corruption institutions,” Shmyhal told a cabinet session.
Shmyhal added that Kryvonos’ appointment has met the last of the recommendations made by the EU’s executive branch before membership negotiations can move forward. Ukraine received candidacy status to join the EU in June four months after Russia invaded in February last year.
Kyiv NGO Anti-Corruption Action Center raised concerns about Kryvonos’ lack of related experience and his alleged ties to the country’s presidential administration. In a video statement following his appointment, Kryvonos stressed that he would be independent in his new position.
Authorities in Kyiv have since ramped up their campaign to get rid of corruption in recent months, fast-tracking investigations and dismissing officials who are involved in scandals. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has expressed support for the efforts, and officials and anti-corruption experts say that the support is needed to secure foreign aid.
Meanwhile, heavy fighting continues in the key city of Bakhmut in eastern Ukraine as both sides seek to reclaim or capture the territory. Ukrainian forces have held down on their defenses in Bakhmut, according to the British defense ministry’s intelligence bulletin on Tuesday. The ministry said Ukrainian forces have likely held their “defensive perimeter” after Russian forces were able to make advances north of the city.


Trump Warns of Renewed Military Action Against Iran as Peace Talks Stall
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
US Approves $108 Million Hawk Missile System Support Package for Ukraine
UN Backs ICJ Climate Ruling Despite U.S. Opposition
Greenland Protesters Rally Against Expanded U.S. Consulate Amid Trump Arctic Ambitions
Erdogan Welcomes Extended Iran Ceasefire in Call With Trump
Raul Castro Indicted by U.S.: Cuba’s Revolutionary Leader Faces Renewed Scrutiny in 2026
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
Trump to Swear In Kevin Warsh as New Federal Reserve Chair Amid Inflation Concerns
Trump-Taiwan Talks Could Reshape U.S.-China Relations
Pentagon Expands AI Model Testing as It Seeks Alternatives to Anthropic’s Claude
Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure
House Republicans Delay Vote on Iran War Powers Resolution Amid Growing Congressional Debate 



