President Donald Trump is known for attacking his political enemies on Twitter, and later on, signed an executive order on social media sites. Now, a new lawsuit has come up against the order, claiming that it violates the first amendment.
The Verge reports that the Center for Democracy and Technology or the CDT, who filed the lawsuit, claimed that Trump’s Executive Order was done in retaliation of Twitter’s use of the First Amendment right to be able to moderate the messages Trump posts on the social media site. As Trump’s order attacked Twitter, the CDT further reasoned that this would end up keeping social media platforms from exercising its rights to free speech nor moderate Trump’s posts in fear of retaliation.
“The President has made clear that his goal is to use threats and retaliation and future regulation to intimidate intermediaries into changing how they moderate content, essentially ensuring that the dangers of voter suppression and disinformation will grow unchecked in an election year,” said the CDT CEO Alexandra Givens in a statement.
The signing of the Executive Order comes as a few of Trump’s tweets regarding mail-in voting and voter fraud were placed under a fact-check tag. The tags linked to articles from news outlets clarifying the facts on these issues that Trump has accused several states (and the Democrats) of. By the end of May, Twitter restricted another tweet from Trump for violation of its policies of glorifying violence.
Among the social media sites that would be included in this Executive Order was Facebook. CEO Mark Zuckerberg previously spoke out against Twitter’s fact-checking policy in an interview, saying that their platforms are not in the position to do such actions. However, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey responded that it is their responsibility to also show the facts for people to be able to discern the truth for themselves. But Zuckerberg’s decision not to take any action on Trump’s Facebook post that is threatening to shoot looters has earned him backlash from civil rights leaders.
The activist leaders; Vanita Gupta, Sherrilyn Ifill, and Rashad Robison expressed their disappointment towards Zuckerberg, and said that the Facebook CEO is setting a very dangerous precedent for other people who would post harmful things on the platform. This statement came after they met with Zuckerberg and Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg on Monday.


White House Shooting Reports Prompt Major Security Response in Washington, D.C.
Rubio, Jaishankar Discuss Iran Crisis, Trade, and Energy Security During Key U.S.-India Talks
Trump-China Summit Yields Limited Progress on Trade and Tech Cooperation
Rubio Says NATO Must Benefit All Members Ahead of Sweden Meeting
Israeli Airstrike in Gaza Refugee Camp Kills Infant and Parents Amid Fragile Ceasefire
Marco Rubio Visits India to Rebuild U.S.-India Ties Amid Trade and Geopolitical Tensions
China Coal Mine Explosion Death Toll Revised to 82 in Shanxi
Trump Weighs Taiwan Arms Deal as U.S. Denies Iran War Caused Delays
Mexico-EU Free Trade Deal Signals Strategic Shift Away From U.S. Dependence
Trump’s White House Ballroom Project Draws Criticism Amid Rising Gas Prices
Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
House Republicans Delay Vote on Iran War Powers Resolution Amid Growing Congressional Debate
Xi Jinping Orders Full Rescue After Shanxi Coal Mine Gas Explosion Kills Eight
U.S. Military Drill Over Caracas Raises Tensions in Venezuela
Trump-Lai Call Remains Uncertain as U.S.-China Tensions Over Taiwan Intensify
Rubio Pressures NATO Allies as Trump Questions Alliance Commitment 



