‘Ghost Recon Frontline’: Ubisoft postpones battle royale’s closed test just a week after its announcement
Ubisoft announced a new “Ghost Recon” game last week, but it was not what fans have been requesting for years. Following a wave of negative feedback on the new battle royale project, the company has now postponed its closed beta test for an indefinite period.
The announcement was posted through the official “Ghost Recon Frontline” Twitter page on Wednesday, telling fans that Ubisoft decided to Closed Test. The developer did not provide a new schedule, suggesting that the postponement might last indefinitely.
We have an important message regarding Ghost Recon Frontline's Closed Test. pic.twitter.com/ne1VgOLMJF— GRFrontline (@GRFrontline) October 13, 2021
Ubisoft did not give a specific reason for the postponement. The company only said, “The development team is dedicated to creating the best experience possible.” But it would not be surprising if the decision was made after fans met the battle royale game’s announcement with negative feedback. Many fans have been saying that “Ghost Recon Frontline” is not the kind of “Ghost Recon” game they were asking from Ubisoft.
Unlike the announcement of “Ghost Recon Frontline,” the statement about the Closed Test’s postponement was met with relief and further suggestions that Ubisoft should just cancel the battle royale project and deliver something like the older “Ghost Recon” titles. The situation also made it apparent that the players are still hoping to see a new title that has similar elements to “Ghost Recon: Wildlands.”
Aside from the negative comments on various online platforms, the underwhelming welcome to “Ghost Recon Frontline” can also be seen in the likes and dislikes of its trailers on YouTube. The eight-minute full announcement video has garnered 19,000 dislikes and only 5,000 likes after a week. The game’s reveal trailer on Ubisoft North America’s channel has more than 17,000 dislikes and over 4,000 likes only.
Based on how the latest statement was worded, though, it does not look like Ubisoft is scrapping the development of “Ghost Recon Frontline” altogether. The company added that it will share more information, including a new date for the start of the Closed Test, in the future. The game’s official page on the Ubisoft website remains active as well.
“Ghost Recon Frontline” is designed as a free-to-play tactical-action game with massive PvP shooter elements set in the “Ghost Recon” universe. Ubisoft also said it will feature an “advanced class system and large set of tactical support tools.”