Following the Senate’s passage of the bipartisan infrastructure bill last week, all eyes are now on the House to clear the proposal. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi recently dismissed the threats from the conservative faction of Democrats regarding the two proposals that passed the upper chamber.
Pelosi released a statement commemorating the 86th anniversary of Social Security, saying that the House is committed to passing both the bipartisan infrastructure bill along with the $3.5 trillion social benefits bill that passed the Senate through budget reconciliation. Pelosi said that the Democratic lawmakers are determined to continue moving President Joe Biden’s “Build Back Better” agenda forward.
“As Congress advances infrastructure and reconciliation legislation, the House remains committed to realizing the totality of President Biden’s vision, including the essential initiatives that will help us secure a cleaner, stronger, fairer future for all. Today and every day, let us renew our vow to not only protect Social Security for every generation but to strengthen the economic security of every family for decades to come,” said Pelosi in the statement.
The Washington Post reported last week that nine conservative House Democrats threatened to withhold their votes on the $3.5 trillion Democratic-led proposal unless the House has already voted on the bipartisan infrastructure bill. Had this pulled through, the House would find themselves in a deadlock given the slim majority that the Democratic Party holds in the lower chamber. Pelosi had previously made clear that the House would not vote on the infrastructure bill unless the $3.5 trillion proposal passed the Senate.
Also, over the weekend, Pelosi announced to lawmakers that she has inquired to a House committee to advance both the $1 trillion infrastructure proposal and the $3.5 trillion package together. This is an effort to mend the division among Democrats caused by the sudden passage of the infrastructure proposal. In a letter to the caucus, Pelosi said she ran her question by the Rules Committee to explore the possibility of advancing both packages through the House at the same time.
The House is set to take up the votes on the budget resolution on August 23 after a few weeks of recess.


Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
Rubio Pressures NATO Allies as Trump Questions Alliance Commitment
Israeli Airstrike in Gaza Refugee Camp Kills Infant and Parents Amid Fragile Ceasefire
Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
Trump’s White House Ballroom Project Draws Criticism Amid Rising Gas Prices
DHS Threatens to Halt International Airport Processing in Sanctuary Cities
Rubio, Jaishankar Discuss Iran Crisis, Trade, and Energy Security During Key U.S.-India Talks
Rubio Says NATO Must Benefit All Members Ahead of Sweden Meeting
First Trump, now Putin – all roads lead to Xi Jinping
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
Trump Says Iran Peace Deal Could Reopen Strait of Hormuz as Nuclear Talks Advance
World Bank Emergency Funding Demand Surges as 27 Countries Seek Crisis Support Amid Iran Conflict
Xi Jinping Orders Full Rescue After Shanxi Coal Mine Gas Explosion Kills Eight
Trump-China Summit Yields Limited Progress on Trade and Tech Cooperation
Marco Rubio Visits India to Rebuild U.S.-India Ties Amid Trade and Geopolitical Tensions
Russia Launches Massive Missile and Drone Strike on Kyiv Amid Oreshnik Threat 



