The United Kingdom is reportedly set to increase its defense spending by over $1 billion. The increase in the budget is expected to be announced by the spring of next year.
The Telegraph reported Saturday that the UK would be increasing its defense spending by over $1.2 billion in order to prevent a real-terms cut in the coming years. Finance minister Jeremy Hunt is expected to announce the increase in the defense budget in the spring. This comes after the report noted military experts estimating that the defense ministry budget for 2024/2025 must rise to £50.1 billion from £48.6 billion to avoid a real-term cut as inflation remains above 10 percent.
Last month, Hunt said during his autumn fiscal report that the government recognized the importance of increasing defense spending and that it would maintain the current budget of at least two percent of the UK’s gross domestic product in line with the countries under the NATO alliance.
“We have one of the largest defense budgets in Europe and in 2020 we announced the biggest increase to defense spending since the Cold War,” a spokesperson for the British government told Reuters.
The spokesperson added that any increase in defense spending would be considered in the next integrated review, the document that details the country’s security, defense, and foreign policy priorities in the spring.
Friday last week, passengers at British airports were informed of delays in their flights when passport control staff staged a walkout on what would be the first day of its strike that is expected to last until the New Year. However, Heathrow and Gatwick airports did not report of any disruptions taking place.
According to the Public and Commercial Services Union, over 1,000 Border Force Staff were expected to go on strike. The walkout by the passport control staff follows the strikes staged by nurses, paramedics, and workers in the rail and postal sectors, all demanding changes in pay and working conditions in what would be the biggest industrial action taken in the UK in decades.
The union said the Border Force Staff were offered a two percent increase in pay. The Border Force Staff apologized for the disruption in travel, adding that they are working with partners in the travel industry to support passengers and goods.


US Approves $108 Million Hawk Missile System Support Package for Ukraine
Rubio Pressures NATO Allies as Trump Questions Alliance Commitment
World Bank Emergency Funding Demand Surges as 27 Countries Seek Crisis Support Amid Iran Conflict
Marco Rubio Visits India to Rebuild U.S.-India Ties Amid Trade and Geopolitical Tensions
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
Iran-U.S. Talks Continue as Strait of Hormuz and Uranium Dispute Stall Peace Efforts
Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure
Trump to Swear In Kevin Warsh as New Federal Reserve Chair Amid Inflation Concerns
Trump-China Summit Yields Limited Progress on Trade and Tech Cooperation
Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
DHS Threatens to Halt International Airport Processing in Sanctuary Cities
Trump Signals Tough Stance on Iran Uranium Stockpile as Nuclear Talks Show Limited Progress
Iran Pushes Nationalist Propaganda as Economic Crisis and War Deepen
Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
Rubio Says NATO Must Benefit All Members Ahead of Sweden Meeting
Xi Jinping Orders Full Rescue After Shanxi Coal Mine Gas Explosion Kills Eight 



