The recent shutdown of the largest fuel pipeline in the eastern US caused a stir, leading law enforcement officials to investigate. President Joe Biden said that a Russia-based organization was responsible for the ransomware attack that caused the shutdown.
Speaking to the press Monday, Biden said that a Russia-based organization was behind the ransomware attack that caused the shutdown of the Colonial Pipeline. The FBI later identified the organization as DarkSide, an operation that surfaced in 2020 that locks up corporate computer systems, forcing the companies that own those systems to pay them to unfreeze.
“So far there is no evidence...from our intelligence people that Russia is involved, although there is evidence that actors, ransomware, is in Russia,” said Biden. “They have some responsibility to deal with this.”
Deputy National Security Adviser Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall also commented, saying that Biden is being updated on the incident. Ms. Sherwood-Randall said that Colonial has informed them that no damages were done to their system, and they should be back online as soon as possible.
Three days after the Colonial Pipeline was forced to temporarily halt operations, Colonial said that it was looking to make a partial reopening of the pipeline. In a statement, Colonial said that parts of the pipeline are already being brought back online.
DarkSide previously targeted small and medium-sized companies in 2020, the companies being based in Western Europe, the US, and Canada. They reportedly ask for several hundred thousand dollars up to a few million dollars to be paid in bitcoin. The organization also downloads data from the company to further their attempt, threatening to release their data to the public if no payment is made.
In other news, US manufacturers of face masks are now asking the Biden administration for help as they face competition from China as an influx of cheaper versions are outselling them in the market. A trade group of 26 manufacturers wrote a letter to Biden requesting federal aid as more than half their production would be forced to go offline in 60 days if they do not have the immediate funds. They have pinned the blame on cheaper imports, especially those from China.


Trump Sends 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Ahead of NATO Talks on Iran War
Trump Signals Tough Stance on Iran Uranium Stockpile as Nuclear Talks Show Limited Progress
Iran Pushes Nationalist Propaganda as Economic Crisis and War Deepen
Rubio Says NATO Must Benefit All Members Ahead of Sweden Meeting
House Republicans Delay Vote on Iran War Powers Resolution Amid Growing Congressional Debate
First Trump, now Putin – all roads lead to Xi Jinping
China Coal Mine Explosion Death Toll Revised to 82 in Shanxi
DHS Threatens to Halt International Airport Processing in Sanctuary Cities
U.S. Military Drill Over Caracas Raises Tensions in Venezuela
Trump-Lai Call Remains Uncertain as U.S.-China Tensions Over Taiwan Intensify
Xi Jinping Orders Full Rescue After Shanxi Coal Mine Gas Explosion Kills Eight
Trump’s White House Ballroom Project Draws Criticism Amid Rising Gas Prices
US Approves $108 Million Hawk Missile System Support Package for Ukraine
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
White House Shooting Reports Prompt Major Security Response in Washington, D.C.
Iran-U.S. Talks Continue as Strait of Hormuz and Uranium Dispute Stall Peace Efforts 



