British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said that China posed a challenge to the United Kingdom’s interests in his first remarks on his government’s foreign policy. Sunak also condemned the beating of a BBC journalist who was in Shanghai in the midst of anti-lockdown protests.
In his address at the annual Lord Mayor’s Banquet in London, Sunak said that Beijing was a “systemic challenge” to the country’s values and interests. Sunak added that the “golden era” of relations between the UK and China had ended. Sunak said the UK would need to change its approach to China, and that Beijing was “consciously competing for global influence using all the levers of state power.”
“Let’s be clear, the so-called ‘golden era’ is over, along with the naive idea that trade would automatically lead to social and political reform,” said Sunak, referencing former finance minister George Osborn’s description of China-UK relations in 2015.
Sunak also said his government intends to prioritize strengthening trade and security with allies in the Indo-Pacific region as “economics and security are indivisible” in the region. Sunak was originally set to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping during the G20 Summit in Bali, but the meeting was canceled.
Sunak’s remarks follow last week’s moves to ban China-made security cameras from sensitive government buildings. Sunak previously pledged to shut down all Confucius Institutes which are partially funded by Beijing, and that he would lead an alliance to counter Chinese cyber threats and help British firms and universities counter Chinese spying.
“We recognize China poses a systemic challenge to our values and interests, a challenge that grows more acute as it moves toward even greater authoritarianism,” said Sunak.
The British government has also summoned its Chinese ambassador over the arrest and alleged assault of BBC journalist Ed Lawrence in the anti-lockdown protests currently taking place in China. Ambassador Zheng Zeguang was summoned to the foreign office Tuesday following the incident with Lawrence.
Foreign secretary James Cleverly called the incident “deeply disturbing” as he confirmed the summoning of Zheng at the NATO conference in Romania. Cleverly stressed the importance of protecting “media freedom” and that journalists are able to work without fear of being harassed.


Trump Announces 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Following Nawrocki Election Victory
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
U.S. Sanctions Tanzanian Police Official Over Human Rights Violations
Pentagon Expands AI Model Testing as It Seeks Alternatives to Anthropic’s Claude
Trump Signals Tough Stance on Iran Uranium Stockpile as Nuclear Talks Show Limited Progress
Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
Rubio Says NATO Must Benefit All Members Ahead of Sweden Meeting
Iran Pushes Nationalist Propaganda as Economic Crisis and War Deepen
Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure
Iran-U.S. Talks Continue as Strait of Hormuz and Uranium Dispute Stall Peace Efforts
Marco Rubio Visits India to Rebuild U.S.-India Ties Amid Trade and Geopolitical Tensions
Xi Jinping Orders Full Rescue After Shanxi Coal Mine Gas Explosion Kills Eight
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
Greenland Protesters Rally Against Expanded U.S. Consulate Amid Trump Arctic Ambitions
Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
Trump to Swear In Kevin Warsh as New Federal Reserve Chair Amid Inflation Concerns
House Republicans Delay Vote on Iran War Powers Resolution Amid Growing Congressional Debate 



